What information do I need to complete my Report?
You can provide us with a lot of information, but there are eight items needed for your Report to be posted on SaferProducts.gov.
Before you get started, gather the following four pieces of information. These are four of the eight required pieces of information:
1. a description of the consumer product or substance;
2. the name of the manufacturer, importer, or private labeler of the product;
3. a description of an illness, injury, or death, or the risk of illness, injury, or death related to use of the product;
4. the date or estimated date when the incident occurred or when you first became aware of the potential for the product to act in an unsafe manner;
When you file your report, you will also need to provide:
5. a description of who you are, for example, consumer, health care professional, a government agency;
6. your name and mailing address. This information will never be posted on SaferProducts.gov, but is required for all Reports posted on the website;
7. your permission to publish your Report on SaferProducts.gov;
8. your verification that the Report is true and accurate to the best of your knowledge, information, and belief.
When you fill out a Report using the online form, you can upload photos of the product, injuries, or damage to property, or provide documents with your Report. You can also provide us with much more information about the product and the incident, such as the product brand and model, where you bought the product, and who was injured.
Here is a worksheet to use as a guide for gathering information to complete the online Report form. If you prefer, you can fill out this worksheet and mail or e-mail it to us at the address provided on the top of the form.